Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Review - Revelation and the Antichrist

I took my Sunday School class on a study through the book of Revelation and looked for resources to help understand it’s meaning. I chose books that had different views of the symbolism as long as they based their views on Scripture. I also used resources that dug deep into the text to give to get a better understanding of the grammar, history, geography and customs of the time John wrote the letter. Even though our study is finished I will always be on the lookout for more study aids on the book of Revelation.

When I came across the book Revelation and the Antichrist by William Edward Dewberry I was intrigued because I assumed he would dig into Scripture, Old and New Testaments, and give an in depth look at how the role the Antichrist plays in the book of Revelation. I was looking forward to some exposition on those difficult passages concerning the timeline of events to take place in the end times. Unfortunately I was disappointed.

As I read I was put off by how quickly I was able to read this commentary. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy books that are easy to read. The problem is that when reading a commentary on Revelation I expect to take an occasional pause to digest and meditate what the author is saying. That didn’t happen here. Throughout the book he would site a passage then give a brief explanation on that passage with no real depth given. This happened over and over. I was expecting meat and got a snack.

He is an amillennialist (the view that we are currently in the millennial reign of Christ) but doesn’t give much reason why. As to his rapture view, not much is given. He does discuss dispensations so I am assuming he takes those views as well.

I wish I could recommend this book but I can’t. There are other worthy commentaries on Revelation (here is my review of one) that you should purchase if you are looking for an aid to help you understand this important book.

Disclaimer - I received this resource free from Thomas Nelson Publishers as part of their Book Sneeze book review blogger program. All that was required of me is that I review it, positively or negatively, on my site.