Friday, February 24, 2012

Review - Slave by John MacArthur

When people ask me about my relationships I usually state that I am a husband, brother, father, son, teacher and so on. These are my most important earthly relationships while giving much information about the nature of that relationship. But when it comes to my relationship with God, how would I answer? In other words which term would I use that most accurately describes the nature of our relationship? That nature is what John MacArthur shows us in his wonderful book Slave.

It is clear from the title of the book that the Biblical view of our relationship with God is that of a master-slave. As always MacArthur uses Scripture to support his view. Using Old and New Testament alike we see that we have always been and will always be a slave of Christ. Too often most people think they are servants of God because of the mistranslation of the Greek word for slave, and that is unfortunate (MacArthur spends a great deal of space showing the difference between servant and slave - they are not the same, not even close).

John takes the slave trade that was used during the time that the New Testament was written and shows how that fits the life believers. As he describes each facet of the master-slave relationship you see in a much clearer way the master-slave relationship we have with God. It will radically change your view of how you relate to God.

I highly recommend this book. It will impact your life long after you read the last page.

You can purchase it at ChristianbookAmazon or from Grace to You.